Friday 13 January 2012

The Raleigh Chopper Dream

My quest to own a MK1 1971 Orange Raleigh Chopper.



Back when I was 12 or 13 Santa delivered a  Chopper for Christmas. I am now in my 50s so I thought yes, I will get one for nostalgia. So first I need to do some detective work to find the exact model I would have had back then. Recalling some of the images form my childhood (well I am getting on) I come up with the following:
  • Round black gear shift with three capital Rs on it
  • Round top sissy bar
  • No rack on the back
  • Colour I think Orange or at a push Blue

 I came to the conclusion that it was either the christmas1970 or 1971 and with the help of the tin ter net with the points above made it a MK1. Yet again the cost of my nostalgic interest was a total surprise.

From what I see there are three options,

  1. Purchase a nut and bolt restoration
  2. Gather all the individual parts (well known auction site) and build/restore my own
  3. Purchase a good used bike
 good and bad points of the three options

  1. Good, Time scale, have the bike I want straightaway, all parts genuine for that year. Bad The cost, a good restored Chopper can go for £1500. I do not have that many pennies to spare.
  2. Good, I get to build all the bike, Cost I should be able to control. Bad, Time, It could take more time than I can give, availability of GOD used parts.
  3. Good, Time have the bike I want straightaway, I get to rebuild any sub standard components. Bad, how many 1970-1971 choppers in good nick for not too much cash can I find?



    Well I went for option 3,

    Purchase a good used bike

    Wish me luck on E-bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment